Thursday 25 July 2013

Hot Seat Welcomes Lindsay Downs

Today we have Lindsay Downs in the hot seat. Welcome to my blog Lindsay I hope you enjoyed answering the questions and they didn't make you squirm too much. 

Let's see what Lindsay has to say and remember there is also an excerpt from her latest book due out with Secret Cravings Publishing on July 30th for you to enjoy following the interview.



About your writing:

How did you get started as a writer?
By reading the same book over and over again. Actually, it wasn’t the same book but different ones and they all sounded the same. That was the impetus I needed to try my hand at writing. Little did I realize exactly how hard it was and is.

Why do you write?
So I don’t go crazy with all the stories I’ve got churning around in my head. By writing I’m able to get them down on paper, well a computer actually.

Have you ever had a day you wanted to quit and never write again?
No but I have had days when I don’t want to write. When I feel like that I give in and take a day off, which is good for the body, mind and soul.

Do you feel lucky to be doing what you are doing?
More than words can say, which is unusual for an author who lives with and for words.

Tell me how you got to where you are today?
Hard work and writing every chance I get. That along with taking workshops either on-line or at conferences.

How do your family/spouses react to your work as an author? Do they know what you write?
I’ve got no idea as I haven’t talked to my family in years. Or I should say, they haven’t talked to me. They know where I live and have never made any attempt to contact me.

About you:

What are you passionate about in life?
Writing the best book I possibly can, time after time.

If you had to give a thank-you speech at the Oscars, who would you thank and what would you say?
“I’d like to thank my parents for instilling in me a great love of books. Next, my publisher for having faith in me and finally Dakota, my border collie, for putting up with me.”

What are the three most important life lessons you’ve learned that might make life easier for others?
Be true to yourself. Love others even if it’s not returned. Never give up on your dreams.

If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional. Whom would it be and why?
I’d love to spend time with Jane Austen and learn first-hand what it was like living during the regency period.

What's the worst thing you did as a kid?
One day, instead of going to school I decided not to and played hooky without even telling my parents. Let me tell you I sure got in trouble for that.

What do you do to have fun?
Watch TV, read and write.

Share a funny incident in your life.
Sorry, I can’t think of any.

Fun Stuff:

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see play the lead role as you?
Tommy Lee Jones or Bruce Willis.

If you were a type of food, what type of food would you be?
Non-fattening.

What is your favorite color- food- song- movie?
Color-blue. Food-salad. Song-To many to mention. Movie-Again to many to mention. However, I’m going to watch RED for the third time this month.

What's the funniest pick up line ever used on you?
Never had a girl try to pick me up.

What's the one thing you can't live without?
My daily fix of Starbucks coffee.

And finally:

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night, it's raining heavily, when suddenly you pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for a bus:
                       -An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
                       -An old friend who once saved your life.
                       -The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.
You can only fit one person in your car, who would you choose to offer a ride to?


I’d pull over, grab a sheet of paper a pen then rewrite the scene so I could fit all three in the car.


Spy Catcher by Lindsay Downs

While acting as chaperone to Lady Aleece at a house party, little does lady’s maid Debbi realize how her life will change.

Not prepared to fall in love nor see a man who bears an uncanny resemblance to her, Debbi’s world begins to turn upside down.

After several attempts on her life, and a run-in with yet another look-alike, she uncovers her true heritage, as the unknown daughter of a countess. Having been raised and trained as a lady's maid, but educated alongside her employer, Debbi begins to wonder in which world she truly belongs.

Only when her new love's life is threatened does Debbie claim her rightful place and do what’s necessary to save him.

Excerpt 

After breaking her fast Debbi slipped into an old, well-worn grey gown she always wore when fishing. With her custom-made flies in their protective container she and Lady Aleece, who was dressed similarly, descended the stairs to the main floor, there to be met by Lord Gerrard and Mr. Thomas.
As she stepped onto the marble flooring Debbi couldn’t help but notice how her partner, Lord Gerrard not to mention Mr. Thomas were dressed.
Instead of the immaculately turned out gentleman of breeding she notice he was in more versatile attire. He’d chosen a dark brown bandana tied loosely around his neck. His shirt, of a fawn color, was open at the collar showing a hint of tan matching the hue of his face. With the morning already warming he’d eschewed a jacket in favor of a multi-pocketed vest. She could only guess they were for the necessary accessories required when fishing. Covering his legs a pair of heavy, dark brown britches and well-worn boots on his feet.
“Why, Lord Gerrard, if I didn’t know better you look like you’re ready for a day of fishing.”
“Why thank you and I must say your gown is interesting, to say the least,” he responded.
“Before my father took to his sick bed he had been nearly fanatical about fishing and I seem to have caught the same enthusiasm.”
“Then let us be off,” he said with a smile, offering his arm.
Once on the terrace they collected their fly rods and creels from the footman and joined Aleece and Mr. Thomas on the lawn awaiting the earl to announce the start of the contest.
Glancing around at the other guests, in search of one in particular, Debbi wondered how the others save for Susan and Jeff would survive the rigors of this activity. When she spied the man, Debbi moved in such a way that Lord Gerrard was between her and Thompson. This way she could scrutinize him without appearing obvious. After a minute of studying him she turned to Aleece.
“Yes, you’re correct. If I didn’t know better we could almost be brother and sister. Not that I’d want to be related to him in any way.”
When queried by not only Lord Gerrard but also Mr. Thomas she promised to explain at the first opportunity when they were in private.

If you'd like to know more about Lindsay then check out the following links:

Twitter- @ldowns2966




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having me guest on your blog and introduce everyone to my newest regency romance.

    ReplyDelete